Many production and assembly processes within the medical products industry benefit from the use of VAIA’s custom Medical Machine Vision systems. While there will always be critical assembly processes that require complex manual inspection, more and more products are suited to inline automated inspection throughout the manufacturing process.
In many instances, the manufacture of consumables is ideal for automated inspection, as the components used are generally built up on an assembly line and, at each stage, there are measurable parameters that must remain within tolerance for correct assembly or production.
For example, VAIA has provided inline inspection systems for:
- Dry powder inhaler assembly
- The inhalers are comprised of multiple “layers”, including the housing, gearing required to ensure the proper dosage or to monitor doses provided, the dosage indicators, assembly pins, and other components that are key to the proper operation of the inhaler.
- Glass slides used for medical testing
- The glass is checked for size, the presence of chips along the edges, and scratches in the surface
- Any printing on the slides is checked for correctness, placement, color, missing ink, scratches, and other parameters
- Patient care systems, such as chest drains
- Inspection ensures that all of the expected internal components are present and properly assembled
- Molds used to manufacture gelatin capsules
- Since it takes 2 halves of a capsule to automatically assemble the finished product, it is critical that precision metrology inspection is applied